Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister?

+14
Natasha Whittam
sunlight
rammywhite
wessy
Angry Dad
Cajunboy
karlypants
gloswhite
Norpig
okocha
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
xmiles
Sluffy
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 21]

Presume all leavers will be outraged at the prospect of unelected figures trying to dictate rules to old Blighty??

Surely?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do people not eat when they go to America. I never got a reply. I assume they don't considering it's clearly dangerous.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Do people not eat when they go to America. I never got a reply. I assume they don't considering it's clearly dangerous.
Americans clearly enjoy their food, judging by the average size of them. They need to look at their portion sizes. When I ordered a salad, I got what looked like the New Forest on a plate.
As for the cheese.........

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think they'll be dictating portion size. 

Also, will there no longer be choice? 

People are speaking as if American food will be the only thing on the shelf. If you don't like it, avoid it.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have you tried their chocolate? Yuk.
On a slightly different note, I think I know why people are panicking about Brexit. They can't help it.
In my local area recently, the water authority warned that the water supply would be turned off for a period of up to three hours on the coming Thursday, in order to facilitate pipe repairs.
Well, the reaction was unbelievable. We had people talking about filling the bath on Wednesday in order to have a supply to hand. Others wanted bottled water handed out.
At one point I thought they'd start asking for Anderson shelters. What's happened to us?

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Do people not eat when they go to America. I never got a reply. I assume they don't considering it's clearly dangerous.

The point isn't whether it's dangerous, there's evidence to support both sides of that, either opinion can be justified.

The issue is we're in danger of having our regulations dictated by an unelected foreign power, which was, of course, a key reason to leave the EU. So why are you not kicking off about it?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why should we lower our standards? They should raise theirs.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

This article explains the concern about chlorine washed chicken.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47440562

It is not just the chicken. The Americans have far lower food hygiene and safety standards than the EU as this article shows:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi2vqrNwoTkAhUBsXEKHYDGBSwQFjACegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Finews.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk%2Fchlorinated-chicken-food-standards-us-not-need-imported%2F&usg=AOvVaw0niWHvQKwpTqsjT-jFy4SE

And as for the bogus "choice" argument, how will you know where the chicken in a supermarket or restaurant has come from? American food standards don't require this kind of information to be provided.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't think they'll be dictating portion size. 

Also, will there no longer be choice? 

People are speaking as if American food will be the only thing on the shelf. If you don't like it, avoid it.

You won't know where it comes from once we adopt American food standards so how can you avoid it?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why wouldn't you? 

Would we no longer stock British meat?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:

The point isn't whether it's dangerous, there's evidence to support both sides of that, either opinion can be justified.

The issue is we're in danger of having our regulations dictated by an unelected foreign power, which was, of course, a key reason to leave the EU. So why are you not kicking off about it?

Well accept their food onto our shelves I assume. 

Unless they say we can only stock American products and nothing else I don't really have a problem with it.

People will choose what they wish to eat.

Foreign interference, this isn’t what brexit was about, but we’re not a great power and we will be a junior partner. At least with the EU we could lead on issues.

Reality will kick in at some point, some will realise we’ve gained nothing doing this. Others will blame anyone and everything they can no matter how intangible (doom and gloom).

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister? - Page 17 American-Poodle

Good flag Bonce, Big Dons probably planning a merger as we speak.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Foreign interference, this isn’t what brexit was about, but we’re not a great power and we will be a junior partner. At least with the EU we could lead on issues.

Reality will kick in at some point, some will realise we’ve gained nothing doing this. Others will blame anyone and everything they can no matter how intangible (doom and gloom).

It's not foreign interference if we choose to have their food on our shelves. 

It would be if they went on to demand that all our food is chlorine washed. 

Don't think that's the plan though.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Why wouldn't you? 

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

You won't know where the meat comes from or how it has been treated if we are forced to adopt American food standards.

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
xmiles wrote:

But we wouldn't. We would be accepting their food with their standards on to our shelves. It isn't a ban on stocking food from everywhere else in the world and labelling it as we choose.

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:
xmiles wrote:

So every time you eat meat you will be checking where it is from?

It's printed on the packet. And if I was concerned about chlorine washing, as you and Troy seem to be, you'd be able to avoid it? What's the big deal. 

I thought you said you wouldn't know where it was from.

Where have I said I’m worried about it? I don’t eat meat, so it doesn’t affect me personally.

I never saw it as an issue because that’s what happens in free trade agreements, regulations are aligned - it’s Brexiteers who had an issue with this.

My point is that this is foreign interference, which was apparently such an issue under the EU we’re sacrificing our economic security to get away from it. So I’m surprised you’re so quick to dismiss it should it happen with the US.

Last edited by T.R.O.Y on Thu Aug 15 2019, 23:11; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum