Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Next Labour leader

Next Labour leader

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

151Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Guest


Guest
Incredibly the tabloid media seem more bothered about smearing potential labour leaders than scrutinising this government.

Next Labour leader - Page 6 EOFHD06WAAAkuLD?format=jpg&name=medium

Meanwhile Nicky Morgan bypasses democracy by being sworn into the House of Lords.

Almost as if they’re biased.

152Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Well the mail is obviously bias. Just like the mirror and guardian are bias the other way. 

I'd read the later two if you want to see a load of ego stroking for the labour front runners.

153Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
The only paper worth reading for a largely neutral stance devoid of lies, fabricated bilge, twisted fault-finding and sensationalism is the "i."

The Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph, Star, Sun, Mirror should not be allowed to trade as NEWSpapers at all. They are in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act and put two fingers up to the findings of the Leveson Enquiry and its recommendations. 

Grossly distorted versions of the news knowingly aim to sway the public for the benefit of their owners' profits, but do nothing for democracy:- the chance for the public to be able to make balanced decisions about who should govern is routinely ignored.

154Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:I see Jess Phillips is now trying to run away from her centrist credentials  pretendingshe's a socialist. 

Starmer is pretending he's a centrist.

You couldn't make it up.

What an utterly pathetic line up completely void of talent. Thorberry makes my blood boil.
Munira Mirza, director of the No 10 policy unit, was a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party, a party sympathetic to the IRA. She also wrote for its journal, Living Marxism.
She's never hidden her past. You can't.

155Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:The only paper worth reading for a largely neutral stance devoid of lies, fabricated bilge, twisted fault-finding and sensationalism is the "i."
.. and it is the only paper with my daily fix of jigsawdoku and has a decent cryptic crossword.
Plus it has all the news stories summarised in concise paragraphs at the front.

Bargain!

156Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 am

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:The only paper worth reading for a largely neutral stance devoid of lies, fabricated bilge, twisted fault-finding and sensationalism is the "i."

The Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph, Star, Sun, Mirror should not be allowed to trade as NEWSpapers at all. They are in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act and put two fingers up to the findings of the Leveson Enquiry and its recommendations. 

Grossly distorted versions of the news knowingly aim to sway the public for the benefit of their owners' profits, but do nothing for democracy:- the chance for the public to be able to make balanced decisions about who should govern is routinely ignored.

No one reads newspapers. Their circulation is tiny. They have zero influence. Left wing politicians just use them as an excuse to cover up their own failings.

157Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 am

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@okocha wrote:The only paper worth reading for a largely neutral stance devoid of lies, fabricated bilge, twisted fault-finding and sensationalism is the "i."

The Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph, Star, Sun, Mirror should not be allowed to trade as NEWSpapers at all. They are in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act and put two fingers up to the findings of the Leveson Enquiry and its recommendations. 

Grossly distorted versions of the news knowingly aim to sway the public for the benefit of their owners' profits, but do nothing for democracy:- the chance for the public to be able to make balanced decisions about who should govern is routinely ignored.

No one reads newspapers. Their circulation is tiny. They have zero influence. Left wing politicians just use them as an excuse to cover up their own failings.

Complete bollocks! The Mail and Sun sell well over a million copies every day and each copy is often read by more than one person.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiCgdLJ0oLnAhWHWhUIHe3SA2oQFjAAegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.statista.com%2Fstatistics%2F529060%2Fuk-newspaper-market-by-circulation%2F&usg=AOvVaw18sXAjLpdJJt7tFxR791qb

158Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I still get a daily newspaper, but it's mainly out of habit. Most of the news has already been covered on the internet by the time they emerge. Always a few good articles though.
The heyday of the press is long gone, but they still have a part to play. Sadly, most of them are only fit for lining a parrot cage.
The 'i' is good value, and I'll often pick one up with my usual rag, but I'm a little worried about their editorial independence, given the new ownership.
New Statesman is good value, if you want to go down the magazine route. Probably wouldn't suite Hipster though. Very Happy

159Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

okocha

okocha
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
No sign yet, Bonce, of the "i" changing its values under the new ownership, thank god. 


It's an odd state of affairs when Sky has the best TV news coverage, but the BBC has a number of agenda biases which it tediously flogs to death each day, and ITV has completely lost any credibility, having opted to start the day with Piers Loudmouth shouting down any guest with his one-eyed bigotry and self-aggrandisement. Unwatchably grotesque.

160Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:and ITV has completely lost any credibility, having opted to start the day with Piers Loudmouth shouting down any guest with his one-eyed bigotry and self-aggrandisement. Unwatchably grotesque.

I find that Piers usually gets it spot on.

His rants are fantastic TV.

161Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:55 am

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@okocha wrote:The only paper worth reading for a largely neutral stance devoid of lies, fabricated bilge, twisted fault-finding and sensationalism is the "i."

The Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph, Star, Sun, Mirror should not be allowed to trade as NEWSpapers at all. They are in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act and put two fingers up to the findings of the Leveson Enquiry and its recommendations. 

Grossly distorted versions of the news knowingly aim to sway the public for the benefit of their owners' profits, but do nothing for democracy:- the chance for the public to be able to make balanced decisions about who should govern is routinely ignored.

No one reads newspapers. Their circulation is tiny. They have zero influence. Left wing politicians just use them as an excuse to cover up their own failings.

Complete bollocks! The Mail and Sun sell well over a million copies every day and each copy is often read by more than one person.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiCgdLJ0oLnAhWHWhUIHe3SA2oQFjAAegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.statista.com%2Fstatistics%2F529060%2Fuk-newspaper-market-by-circulation%2F&usg=AOvVaw18sXAjLpdJJt7tFxR791qb

Yes, their circulation is tiny. As I just said. Thanks for backing up my point.

162Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:
@okocha wrote:The only paper worth reading for a largely neutral stance devoid of lies, fabricated bilge, twisted fault-finding and sensationalism is the "i."

The Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph, Star, Sun, Mirror should not be allowed to trade as NEWSpapers at all. They are in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act and put two fingers up to the findings of the Leveson Enquiry and its recommendations. 

Grossly distorted versions of the news knowingly aim to sway the public for the benefit of their owners' profits, but do nothing for democracy:- the chance for the public to be able to make balanced decisions about who should govern is routinely ignored.

No one reads newspapers. Their circulation is tiny. They have zero influence. Left wing politicians just use them as an excuse to cover up their own failings.

Complete bollocks! The Mail and Sun sell well over a million copies every day and each copy is often read by more than one person.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiCgdLJ0oLnAhWHWhUIHe3SA2oQFjAAegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.statista.com%2Fstatistics%2F529060%2Fuk-newspaper-market-by-circulation%2F&usg=AOvVaw18sXAjLpdJJt7tFxR791qb

Yes, their circulation is tiny. As I just said. Thanks for backing up my point.
Print runs are limited but their online presence is highly visible and they are picked up on by a host of newsfeed networks e.g. Newsnow that pump them into online searches etc.

163Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Yeah but the influence is nil.

164Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm

sunlight

sunlight
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Pelf

165Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
Of the 5 hoping to become the Party Leader, only one is fresh blood, and hopefully comes with fresh ideas. I'm hoping Lisa Nandy is the dark horse in this race. 
All the others are are badly tarnished by their past performances.

166Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Guest


Guest
Surely any Labour MP is, to an extent, tarnished in your eyes, aren’t the party’s policies are the opposite of the views you hold?

167Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
T.R.O.Y wrote:Surely any Labour MP is, to an extent, tarnished in your eyes, aren’t the party’s policies are the opposite of the views you hold?
Of those seeking election, yes they are tarnished, because of their piss-poor performances. Supporting a leader and his ideas that they very quickly dumped once he had gone. Long Bailey being the only one who continued to support him, which may well be her downfall.
Otherwise, I'm not one of those people who vote for a Party regardless. As I said the other day, in support of one of your posts, some of what they are seeking ring a bell with me too. Nothing is black and white, nor is it red or blue.

168Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Guest


Guest
Fair enough, I struggle to see how you can look at Boris’s record before this election and not consider him tarnished though. Let’s not go over old ground on that though.

169Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:22 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
I agree, some of his shenanigans are pretty bad, but with regards Brexit, I think he's starting off on the right foot, and hopefully things will continue to go well.

170Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 am

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Stunning poll by survation puts long bailey in the lead.

Good god I'm buzzing.

171Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
Just what us Tories want  Very Happy  Seems like the far-left are starting to pull the strings again.

172Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Might be interesting to see what the media does with regard to her husband.

173Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Momentum are officially backing the Long Bailey/Rayner ticket.

174Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sir Keir might be the MPs pick but the vote will depend on members and according to a bloke on the radio since last year loads of people haven't renewed and loads more have joined so I'm guessing the result will depend on who those people are - returning middle of the roaders or more militants.

175Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Guest


Guest
I’d be interested to know who this bloke on the radio was. I’ve been a member for 5 years, I’ve never been asked to renew - it just rolls on. So I seriously doubt there’s been a massive cancellation of membership over the last couple of months as you imply.

176Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
T.R.O.Y wrote:I’d be interested to know who this bloke on the radio was. I’ve been a member for 5 years, I’ve never been asked to renew - it just rolls on. So I seriously doubt there’s been a massive cancellation of membership over the last couple of months as you imply.
Not me - bloke on Radio - didn't note his name.
There are 3 types of membership one of which is "registered supporter" (approx 20% of total) who pay a one off fee for a short term membership. Used to be £3 but now it's £25 I believe.
Apparently unless full members pay by Direct Debit they have to renew annually and if you remember there was a rush to back Corbyn - thought to have been mainly registered supporters - so it's feasible.

177Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 am

Guest


Guest
Fair enough. I’m one of the rush of members who joined to back Corbyn at the time. As I would
again in that situation.

At the moment I’ve been most impressed with Lisa Nandy, worth watching her Andrew Neil interview from earlier this week. She came across very well.

178Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 am

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
According to the BBC this morning about 15,000 people have recently joined and this was described as a disappointment for Jess Phillips who has been encouraging people to join.

179Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:01 am

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
T.R.O.Y wrote:
At the moment I’ve been most impressed with Lisa Nandy, worth watching her Andrew Neil interview from earlier this week. She came across very well.
She was impressive and I like her too, even though she's a pie-eater.

180Next Labour leader - Page 6 Empty Re: Next Labour leader on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 am

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Phillips is a total gobshite. 

If she gets in the labour movement will again be reduced to a boring class war protest movement.

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum