Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Keir Starmer - new Labour leader

Keir Starmer - new Labour leader

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 12:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Well Corbynism has finally been banished with Corbyn heir apparent, Long-Bailey being crushed in the first - and as it turned out - only - round of voting, with Sir Keir being crowned the new king.

Seems there was apathy amongst Labour part voters - with one third of their 750,000 membership not even bothering to vote.

At least Labour has someone sensible at the helm again following the disastrous tenures of his immediate predecessors Miliband and JC over the last ten (wasted) years but he's got an awful lot of ground to recover, let alone play whatever part he can in the ongoing world crisis.

Good luck Keir, as I think you are going to need it.

2Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 12:11

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@Sluffy wrote:Well Corbynism has finally been banished with Corbyn heir apparent, Long-Bailey being crushed in the first - and as it turned out - only - round of voting, with Sir Keir being crowned the new king.

Seems there was apathy amongst Labour part voters - with one third of their 750,000 membership not even bothering to vote.

At least Labour has someone sensible at the helm again following the disastrous tenures of his immediate predecessors Miliband and JC over the last ten (wasted) years but he's got an awful lot of ground to recover, let alone play whatever part he can in the ongoing world crisis.

Good luck Keir, as I think you are going to need it.

:agree:

3Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 12:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Looks like a man who moisturises. Very wise.

4Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 12:50

Ten Bobsworth

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
@boltonbonce wrote:Looks like a man who moisturises. Very wise.
More of a Sergeant Wilson than a Captain Mainwaring wouldn't you say, Boncey?

''Do you think that's wise, sir?"

5Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 12:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Ten Bobsworth wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:Looks like a man who moisturises. Very wise.
More of a Sergeant Wilson than a Captain Mainwaring wouldn't you say, Boncey?

''Do you think that's wise, sir?"

6Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 16:38

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I do hope we will see Lisa Nandy in the shadow cabinet, her opportunity to lead the party may well come again!

7Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 18:45

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
I think both Nandy and RLB will (correctly) be in the shadow cabinet. THey were saying the right things after the result and Starmer wants to unite the party as much as he can. Although he will have to get rid of the toxic Karie Murphy as soon as he can.

More good news: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiuga_dqM_oAhXSgVwKHQ2uBVQQ0PADMAJ6BAgIEA0&url=https%3A%2F%2Flabourlist.org%2F2020%2F04%2Fcorbynsceptics-sweep-the-board-in-labours-ruling-body-by-elections%2F&usg=AOvVaw2UGbJa18l_3P_V2CP4rpFa

8Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sat Apr 04 2020, 22:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
I thought he was a bit of a wimp during Brexit, and his campaign was nothing to shout about, evading all possible clashes with anyone and everyone, whilst promising nothing.
However, now that he is out from under Corbyn's influence, who knows ? I was impressed with his acceptance speech, even though it was mainly about Covid 19, but I think if he is given a fair chance to settle in, he should get better as time goes by. I wish him luck, especially as Boris seems to have taken all his common sense policies away and put them under a Tory flag.

9Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sun Apr 05 2020, 15:27

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I voted for him, in the end i couldn't choose between him and Nandy so went with the one i thought was more likely to unify the party.

Good to see all the candidates stood on left wing policies. To me the party has been changed for the better in that regard, but if we can't win an election it will all be for nothing.

10Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sun Apr 05 2020, 16:12

Ten Bobsworth

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Rebecca Long-Bailey proved herself the true Corbyn continuity candidate by catastrophically losing this election, according to Maomentum, but she gave herself 10 out of 10 for her campaign.

11Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Sun Apr 05 2020, 17:29

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Nandy named as new Shadow Foreign Secretary.

Labour leadership hopeful Lisa Nandy has been appointed shadow foreign secretary in Keir Starmer's new shadow cabinet.

Other appointments include Anneliese Dodds as shadow chancellor and Nick Thomas-Symonds as shadow home secretary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52175841

12Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 15:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

13Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 18:08

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
Hopefully, the kids can go back to school now that the teaching unions have had their wings clipped.

14Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 21:49

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

15Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 21:54

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@gloswhite wrote:Hopefully, the kids can go back to school now that the teaching unions have had their wings clipped.

What does this have to do with Keir Starmer?

16Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 22:11

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Struggling a bit with this, not Starmer sacking her - I understand he wants to set a precedent. But why was what Peake said anti-Semitic?

17Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 22:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Struggling a bit with this, not Starmer sacking her - I understand he wants to set a precedent. But why was what Peake said anti-Semitic?
You can't have a pop at Israel without being called anti-semitic. Calling Netanyahu corrupt got me in hot water.
No wonder he loves Trump.
Resigned from the Party today.

18Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 22:27

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Aye that’s my worry too, Netanyahu’s government are amongst the most oppressive in the world - yet any criticism is anti-Semitic? 

Not saying what Peake claimed was accurate by the way, but surely she’s at worst misinformed?

19Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 22:45

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson
@xmiles wrote:

What does this have to do with Keir Starmer?
She was the Shadow Education Secretary, 
She is sponsored by the unions. 
The biggest problem with the kids going back to school was the militant attitude of the school unions, who manipulated the parents concerns.
The whole education argument became politicized and detracted from the concerns of the virus. engendering more fear.
With the toning down of the arguments now that she's gone, kids and parents will not be scared or concerned when they go back to school, (probably in September).
I think I've got the gist of it, but fill in the gaps if I haven't  Very Happy

20Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 23:03

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
The moment a union doesn’t toe the governments line it’s deemed ‘militant’. It’s a cheap Tory trick in my view.

21Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 23:19

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@boltonbonce wrote:
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Struggling a bit with this, not Starmer sacking her - I understand he wants to set a precedent. But why was what Peake said anti-Semitic?
You can't have a pop at Israel without being called anti-semitic. Calling Netanyahu corrupt got me in hot water.
No wonder he loves Trump.
Resigned from the Party today.

You resigned from the Labour Party today?

Wow - that's a big thing from you, at least in the way you portray yourself on here - and I don't doubt that you are genuine in that respect.

Fwiw it seemed to me only a question of time before Starmer would have dumped her/and her looney left mates as they are unelectable with them (remember my two rules of politics).

From what I understand this was more of a power play confrontation - she was asked several times to take down the tweet and deliberately stood her ground - so something had to give - and if it was painted (rightly or wrongly) as a anti-Semitic issue - then Starmer couldn't be seen to turn a blind eye to it and let it go.

Long- Bailey claims she had permission to put up the tweet (maybe she had) but clearly a higher view thought it best it wasn't out there and ordered it to be removed.

She must have had her reasons to put up a fight (test out Starmer's bottle perhaps?) because she would have known the consequences if he didn't bottle what he had to do (and the thinking must have been to know he would react).

Going back to my two rules in politics I can only think the left have some sort of a long term strategy to disengage with Starmer and presumably blame him and his polices for losing the 2024 GE and put themselves forward as the way forward for the Labour Party for the 2029 GE, when in all probability the country would be ripe for a change in government anyway.

Or something like that because it was always going to be a fight that she was never going to win.

Bonce, feel free to join my political ideology - namely they are all as bad as each other, politics is only a game in order to gain power and thereafter hold on to it - and they would all compromise their ideas and beliefs if they had to in order to do what was required to win.

A rhetorical question - who was the last PM who actually delivered what they truly believed in?

I would say Clem Atlee in 1945 - 1951.

Seventy years ago if so!

Quite a thought if I'm correct.

22Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 23:25

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Can see why RLB didn’t want to take it down on those terms, classing this type of comment as anti-Semitic sets a dangerous precedent.

23Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 23:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not quit over this alone Sluffy. I started the process some time ago but, getting out is harder than getting in.
I feel strangely free.

24Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Thu Jun 25 2020, 23:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:Not quit over this alone Sluffy. I started the process some time ago but, getting out is harder than getting in.
I feel strangely free.

Welcome to the Tory Party! :biggrin:

25Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Fri Jun 26 2020, 00:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Keir Starmer - new Labour leader 138e6100-c23b-4f9d-af4a-7741966e4e79

26Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Fri Jun 26 2020, 00:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Can see why RLB didn’t want to take it down on those terms, classing this type of comment as anti-Semitic sets a dangerous precedent.

I would have thought you would have 'got it'?

It's not what was said but more about the 'sensitivity' of the matter - and in my humble opinion the excessive over reaction some issues seem to provoke these days.

I certainly don't want to get myself in bother but some of the reactions to the issues flowing from the George Floyd killing seem out of proportion to the issues/event - such as the 'boxing' off of Churchill's statue.

Fwiw there was a national competition as to who was British public considered the greatest Britain ever was, in 2002 with Churchill coming out the winner - indeed he and the runner up IK Brunel - were main characters in the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony - just eight years ago!!!

As the world in respect of Churchill really turned completely upside down in just eight years, so much so that he is being perceived now as a persona non grata?

Surely that is a vast over-reaction is it not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons

Similarly it appears to me that anything that remotely could be linked to Israel/the Jewish state is 'out of bounds' to those in charge of the Labour party, and shall remain so for some considerable time henceforth.

Seems such things are now becoming the new norms, certainly for those of the social media generation, which leaves people like myself out in the margins and completely mystified as to such superficial and instantaneous crowd reaction and behaviour based mainly it seems to me on what their mates are reading and saying on Twitter and FB.

These days you simply can't be seen not to rush to embrace the prevailing view and that's why some subjects are taboo to even be mentioned and if done so draconian sanctions instantaneously follow such as what happened here, today.

27Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Fri Jun 26 2020, 07:01

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Yes thanks for that, but I’ve already said I understand why he did it. My concern is over the long running debate over valid criticism of the Israeli government being dismissed as anti-Semitic. That debate has been running far longer and goes far deeper than social media.

28Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Fri Jun 26 2020, 07:23

T.R.O.Y.

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Few things I’ve found interesting when reading this, put onto both by the comedy writer David Schneider. Bonce be interested to hear what you think:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/antisemitism-labour-israel-netanyahu-palestine-david-schneider-a8905941.html
https://twitter.com/sara_rose_g/status/1276171378044125189?s=21

29Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Fri Jun 26 2020, 07:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Yes thanks for that, but I’ve already said I understand why he did it. My concern is over the long running debate over valid criticism of the Israeli government being dismissed as anti-Semitic. That debate has been running far longer and goes far deeper than social media.

Because the issue has become over sensitised so much so that anything seen to be remotely in that field is immediately stamped on to prevent instantaneous social media criticism from reactionaries.

Any sense of perspective has long since gone due to the 'click of a button' social voice given to anyone and everyone with an internet connection and the need to counter such reaction whether it was warranted or not.

This is the game that is being played now - and led by professional activists / paid for private media companies / possibly even external states - to control and influence the masses.

What pre-dates this was/is the belief that Jews and their money controlled the western world we live in and were thus a barrier to any change for the betterment of the proletariat.

30Keir Starmer - new Labour leader Empty Re: Keir Starmer - new Labour leader on Fri Jun 26 2020, 07:46

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@T.R.O.Y. wrote:Few things I’ve found interesting when reading this, put onto both by the comedy writer David Schneider. Bonce be interested to hear what you think:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/antisemitism-labour-israel-netanyahu-palestine-david-schneider-a8905941.html
https://twitter.com/sara_rose_g/status/1276171378044125189?s=21

Both links are well worth reading and Sara Gibbs provides a good analysis of why RLB brought it on herself.

Maxine Peake has admitted she was "inaccurate" so why couldn't RLB take down her tweet?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum