Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MK Dons 0-2 Bolton

+8
wanderlust
Growler
okocha
terenceanne
Hip Priest
wessy
Whitesince63
Norpig
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:36 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hip Priest wrote:Sluffy : "You can see it here then"

Lusty :  "Thanks"

cheers cheers

Is this the start of a big bromance?

Or is it more likely the most civil exchange you're ever likely to see between these 2.  :flog:

One swallow doesn't make it summer as the saying goes.

But it is a good start to finally put an end to all the unwarranted silliness that has been going on for the last four years.

Here's hoping anyway.

22MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:10 am

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Do people watch the same team as I do?

I can't see a Bolton victory under any circumstances. We just don't win these games.

I hope I'm wrong, but as you know, I rarely am.

The last time I was confident of regular away wins was under Colin Todd when we walked the league.
A bit of history you don’t mind recollecting then.
Biggest mistake Toddy made was spending £3.5million on someone called Holdsworth. Sorry Doctor Holdsworth.

Toddy got the Wanderers into the Premiership as CHAMPIONS and hasn’t written a book full of egotistical, self-serving hogwash, so far as I know.

23MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:33 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Iles' player ratings:

JAMES TRAFFORD…6.5
Organised, used the ball pretty well, collected a few crosses and patrolled the edge of his area well. Comfortable night, and he will hope for more like this.
GETHIN JONES…7
Got forward and won the penalty. Got forward and scored the second. Few wasted passes at the end but nothing to spoil the day.
RICARDO SANTOS…7
Breezed his 100th game for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and didn’t allow anything to past him to both Trafford. Used the ball pretty well, too, so goes into Saturday in good form.

GEORGE JOHNSTON…8
Snuffed out a couple of chances, put in a few brave blocks and generally looked on top of his game. Progressing nicely this season.
CONOR BRADLEY… 7
MK couldn’t cope with him for most of the match and his pedigree shone through again. Couple of moments to learn from in the last 15 minutes in possession.
MJ WILLIAMS…7.5
Quietly went about his [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] disassembling the MK midfield piece by piece. Bradley Johnston hardly got a sniff.

GEORGE THOMASON…7.5
Enjoyed himself by the looks of things. Rattled into tackles, raced on the overlap, lashed shots at goal from crazy angles. On form.
JACK IREDALE…6.5
Produced a stunning cross for the second goal but had a few iffy moments on the ball early in the game. Recovered well.
KIERAN LEE…7.5
As ever, Lee just motored along without making a mistake. Walked around the touchline to a standing ovation from the Bolton fans in the corner.
DION CHARLES… 7
Could have written some serious headlines. Took his penalty well and ran hard all night but had a few big chances that should have hit the back of the net too.
ELIAS KACHUNGA…7
You might point to the fact he had no shots on goal – but worked so hard out of possession and won the free kick that led to the second goal.
Subs: Dempsey 72 (for Lee), Bakayoko 76 (for Kachunga), Sadlier 86 (for Charles), Morley 86 (for Thomason).
Not used: John, Aimson, Afolayan.

24MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:54 pm

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Three points without breaking a sweat. We were the best team by far. 
With Dapo on the bench and Boddy & Issy coming back shortly I think goals will come a little easier going forward. Unfortunately, with Ipswich and Pompey in good form we have pressure to keep on winning to keep up.  Ian has is work cut out with team selection at the moment.

25MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:21 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:A bit of history you don’t mind recollecting then.
Biggest mistake Toddy made was spending £3.5million on someone called Holdsworth. Sorry Doctor Holdsworth.

Toddy got the Wanderers into the Premiership as CHAMPIONS and hasn’t written a book full of egotistical, self-serving hogwash, so far as I know.

I'm always interested in the history of BWFC on the playing side.

As for Holdsworth, if we only paid £3.5m for him, what a bargain! 39 goals in 158 games is a pretty good return. We'd all love a 1 in 4 striker right now.

26MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:37 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

27MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:45 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I refuse to click on that. You can't make me.

28MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

But dare you click on this...:

:bomb:

29MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:07 pm

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

30MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:31 pm

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:
My eyes! My eyes! Unkind and uncalled for, Mr. Sluff!

31MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:33 am

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

As for Holdsworth, if we only paid £3.5m for him, what a bargain! 39 goals in 158 games is a pretty good return. We'd all love a 1 in 4 striker right now.
Are you really that deluded?
£3.5 million was a lot of money to spend on a player in 1997; the most BWFC had ever spent.
He was bought to help the club survive in the Premiership,  doubtless on Premiership wages. They didn’t survive and Holdsworth managed to get THREE goals.
He did a bit better in a lower division but nowt special and probably still on Premier League wages.
Toddy’s worst signing by a mile but why did the University of Notlob award Holdsworth of all people an honorary doctorate?
That’s what I’d like to know.

32MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:14 am

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

No offers then? No-one who can provide any credible explanation of why the University of Notlob honoured Dean Holdsworth ahead of John McGinlay, Kevin Davies, Gudni Bergsson, Ricardo Gardner, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Eidur Gudjohnsson, Bruno Ngotty, Phil Brown, Michael Ricketts, Jay Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff or almost anyone else you could name?

Why? Why? why?

..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno..

There has to be an explanation.

33MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:03 am

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Including winning goals in league matches against  Liverpool and Chelsea.
I didn't rate the signing at the time, lack of pace and not even Wimbledon's best strker  but over his full spell at Bolton he did ok

34MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:47 am

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Growler wrote:

Including winning goals in league matches against  Liverpool and Chelsea.
I didn't rate the signing at the time, lack of pace and not even Wimbledon's best strker  but over his full spell at Bolton he did ok
OK isn’t good enough when you are the most expensive player on the books and probably on the highest wages.

He managed to score THREE times in 1997/98 after being signed as our main striker. Nathan Blake scored 12 and Alan Thompson 9.

After dropping down into the Championship he managed to score 12 in 1998/99 behind both Bob Taylor and Arnar Gunlaugsson.

He managed just 11 the next season 2 ahead of Bo Hanson (hurrah) but 2 behind Eidur Gudjohnsson.

It was 11 again 2000/01, 8 goals behind Michael Ricketts who had cost all of £400K.

Promotion that season (via the playoffs) showed Holdsworth once again completely out of his depth in the Premiership scoring all of TWO goals.

Were there other aspects to his game that made up for it. Not as I recall. Poor at tracking back, lazy in the tackle and rarely providing many assists.

But I come back to why it was Holdsworth that Unibol decided should be honoured with a doctorate. Somebody will know. Someone must have promoted it, but why?

35MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:58 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:No offers then? No-one who can provide any credible explanation of why the University of Notlob honoured Dean Holdsworth ahead of John McGinlay, Kevin Davies, Gudni Bergsson, Ricardo Gardner, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Eidur Gudjohnsson, Bruno Ngotty, Phil Brown, Michael Ricketts, Jay Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff or almost anyone else you could name?

Why? Why? why?

..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno.. ..dunno..

There has to be an explanation.

Also what I found very strange was that the esteemed one and the ST never made any mention of it at the time, or ever since.

Considering both Iles and the ST were the public voice of Team Holdsworth and led the hatred towards Anderson and told us how badly Saint Dean was being treated by him...

At the heart of current difficulties lies a dispute between Anderson, fellow owner Dean Holdsworth and BluMarble – the company who supplied a loan to Holdsworth’s Sports Shield company buy the club in March last year.

Anderson maintains that the amount loaned was £4million but that guarantees were supplied for £5m, while Holdsworth maintains the £5m was loaned in full, with £1m used to pay-off fees associated with the takeover.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(Basically, what this implies is that Holdworth via his company took out a £5 loan from BluMarble, then his company loaned it to BWFC AFTER taking £1m as their fee for doing so!).

Net result BWFC owe £5m for a loan of which they only received £4m and Holdsworth company earning £1m for basically receiving £5m into their bank account from BluMarble then transferring £4m of it immediately to BWFC's bank account - and pocketing a £1m for themselves (and FWIW the company had only one person working for it (DH) and that the company was completely owned by DH!!!

Shocked

I wonder when the penny finally dropped for both Iles and the fantasists at the ST???

Hence a complete silence about Holdsworth in recent years?

36MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:31 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
OK isn’t good enough when you are the most expensive player on the books and probably on the highest wages.

He managed to score THREE times in 1997/98 after being signed as our main striker. Nathan Blake scored 12 and Alan Thompson 9.

After dropping down into the Championship he managed to score 12 in 1998/99 behind both Bob Taylor and Arnar Gunlaugsson.

He managed just 11 the next season 2 ahead of Bo Hanson (hurrah) but 2 behind Eidur Gudjohnsson.

It was 11 again 2000/01, 8 goals behind Michael Ricketts who had cost all of £400K.

Promotion that season (via the playoffs) showed Holdsworth once again completely out of his depth in the Premiership scoring all of TWO goals.

Were there other aspects to his game that made up for it. Not as I recall. Poor at tracking back, lazy in the tackle and rarely providing many assists.

But I come back to why it was Holdsworth that Unibol decided should be honoured with a doctorate. Somebody will know. Someone must have promoted it, but why?

An equally valid question is what would have happened to BWFC if Holdsworth/Sport Shield hadn't intervened?

Fact is, the winding up order was due to be heard and we were staring down the barrel with no hope of survival.

I'll leave the speculation about what happened afterwards to the experts - but the very fact that he got involved at that exact time when the rest of the world was ready to let us go to the wall is perhaps why he was given the honour.

He may well be dodgy and who knows what his motives were?  - but what he did saved the club at the very moment we faced oblivion.

I think Dean Holdsworth is a prick but I'm grateful for what he did.

37MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:49 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:

An equally valid question is what would have happened to BWFC if Holdsworth/Sport Shield hadn't intervened?

Fact is, the winding up order was due to be heard and we were staring down the barrel with no hope of survival.

I'll leave the speculation about what happened afterwards to the experts - but the very fact that he got involved at that exact time when the rest of the world was ready to let us go to the wall is perhaps why he was given the honour.

He may well be dodgy and who knows what his motives were?  - but what he did saved the club at the very moment we faced oblivion.

I agree with this sentiment.The only reason Dean Holdworth got involved in the money side was because the owner of the club, Eddie Davies was refusing to pay the club's tax bill.

38MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:54 pm

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I believe that you are right, Sluffy, and that there was an anti-Anderson network involving Holdsworth, Iles and the ST whose roots lay in the Beeno's anti-Davies and anti-Gartside stance. Sam Allardyce was linked-in too as evidenced by the unnecessary, erroneous and malevolent claims in his book.

But I suspect that there was more to Holdsworth joining forces with the ST and Iles solely in an anti-Anderson united front. I wouldn't expect Dean Holdsworth to put himself out without some personal incentive but did someone owe him a favour for any reason, I wonder?

Think about it.

39MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:

No, he didn't save the club at the very moment we faced oblivion, it was reported at the time that Eddie Davies had already filed the papers for Burnden Leisure to enter Administration if the Holdsworth deal had collapsed.

Clearly he must have been highly prepared for that to have happened as Holdsworth partner in the purchase stepped away on the day and Ken Anderson came in at the very last minute - unknowingly he later claimed, of Holdsworth deal with BluMarble - and the 'missing' £1m' to the club, half of which he now owned!

It would have been highly unlikely that Administration would have led to liquidation as no club has gone bust since Maidstone in 1992 - even Bury FC still exist to this day.

Who knows who would have bought us and how we would have fared, but we would in all likeliness - due to the largess and generosity of Eddie Davies and him not seeking to get the vast bulk of the money owing to him by the club - still be in existence.

So no, Holdsworth's intervention certainly did not save us from oblivion at that point in time.

And therefore, your gratitude to him for saving the club is misplaced.

40MK Dons 0-2 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: MK Dons 0-2 Bolton Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:25 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

No, he didn't save the club at the very moment we faced oblivion, it was reported at the time that Eddie Davies had already filed the papers for Burnden Leisure to enter Administration if the Holdsworth deal had collapsed.

Clearly he must have been highly prepared for that to have happened as Holdsworth partner in the purchase stepped away on the day and Ken Anderson stepped in at the last minute (unknowingly he later claimed, of Holdsworth deal with BluMarble - and the 'missing' £1m' to the club, half of which he now owned!

It would have been highly unlikely that Administration would have led to liquidation as no club has gone bust since Maidstone in 1992 - even Bury FC still exist to this day.

Who knows who would have bought us and how we would have fared, but we would in all likeliness - due to the largess and generosity of Eddie Davies and him not seeking to get the vast bulk of the money owing to him by the club - still be in existence.

So no, Holdsworth's intervention certainly did not save us from oblivion at that point in time.

And therefore, your gratitude to him for saving the club is misplaced.
We may indeed have got a reprieve from the winding up order as Bury FC did and we may well have still existed in some form or other without Holdsworth's vainglorious attempt to keep us going - and as you say, who knows who might have bought us. But that's not what actually happened.

As for the original 1885 Bury Football Club Company Ltd, they remain in administration under the ownership of Steve Dale and are in an ongoing dispute with Bury AFC and several other interest groups.

More to the point, the proposed answer to Bob's question lies in what the Unibol think, not me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum