Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Write about a Bolton game in the good old days that you fondly remember

+12
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
carrs
Norpig
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Michael Bolton
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was a Division 2 game against Southampton in November 1974 that we won 3 - 2 and I remember it because I was down from Scotland (where I was a student at the time) with a bunch of mates celebrating my birthday and I was slaughtered well before we got into the Lever End. They'd beaten us in the cup earlier in the season and had an amazing forward line which included Mick Channon, Bobby Stokes and Peter Osgood so I remember going apeshit when we turned them over. Can't even remember who scored for us but I do remember arguing with someone in the New Zealand Chief, puking in Yates's and then snogging this bird who seemed to relish the vomit washed down with Cape Red. Happy days.

BoltonTillIDie wrote:

There is one with the GMR commentary on, it's miles better than listening to John Motson.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OneFinFreedman wrote:

There is one with the GMR commentary on, it's miles better than listening to John Motson.

Well bloody find it for us you tease.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

1978 I think (memory might be faulty). A late season (might even have been last week of the season) midweek game against Blackburn Rovers. Frank Worthington scored the goal that sent us up and all hell broke loose. I was nine, with my dad and after the heartbreak of Kenny Hibbert's 'goal' for the plastic Wanderers had denied us promotion the year before to actually secure it against the Dingles sent us all into the stratosphere. It was one of the first night games I was allowed to go to and I still remember dad telling me NOT to sing any of the chants I heard where mum could possibly hear them or hear about them Smile

Dad himself was singing something about Blackburn, I never did quite make it out. Something to do with banks while the referee was told to stick it in his booking house? when he booked one of our lads. Being a good boy I of course NEVER really understood the songs OR repeated them at any time EVER. (I never sang it, you didn't hear me sing it and you can't prove a thing). Very Happy

I fell asleep on the train home but didn't care. It was a great night and although my date might be a bit fuzzy all these years later it was still one of the better times I spent with the old man and I was glad to have the time with him and seeing our beloved Trotters not just win but ensure promotion (or maybe the top spot in the division, I know it was one or the other) to boot. Smile

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:1978 I think (memory might be faulty). A late season (might even have been last week of the season) midweek game against Blackburn Rovers. Frank Worthington scored the goal that sent us up and all hell broke loose. I was nine, with my dad and after the heartbreak of Kenny Hibbert's 'goal' for the plastic Wanderers had denied us promotion the year before to actually secure it against the Dingles sent us all into the stratosphere. It was one of the first night games I was allowed to go to and I still remember dad telling me NOT to sing any of the chants I heard where mum could possibly hear them or hear about them Smile

Dad himself was singing something about Blackburn, I never did quite make it out. Something to do with banks while the referee was told to stick it in his booking house? when he booked one of our lads. Being a good boy I of course NEVER really understood the songs OR repeated them at any time EVER. (I never sang it, you didn't hear me sing it and you can't prove a thing). Very Happy

I fell asleep on the train home but didn't care. It was a great night and although my date might be a bit fuzzy all these years later it was still one of the better times I spent with the old man and I was glad to have the time with him and seeing our beloved Trotters not just win but ensure promotion (or maybe the top spot in the division, I know it was one or the other) to boot. Smile
That was promotion to the First Division (top flight) under Ian Greaves. Allardyce was playing, Reidy, Train, Whatmore, Roy Greaves with Manure rejects Willie Morgan and Tony Dunne. Amazing night at Ewood.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I was there that night as well.

If I recall correctly the win gave us guaranteed promotion and the home draw against Fulham a few days later gave us the title in front of Spurs.

Happy days

(36 years ago!)

That's the first season I can remember snatches of.

There used to be a small off-licence on Elgin Street not far from our house and when we went up, they stuck a home-made 2D cardboard "trophy" covered in tin-foil in the window with "Well Done Bolton!" written on it in marker pen.

Looking back now, it looked more in keeping with the 50's than nowadays and shows just how far we've moved on with modern technology and stuff.

Mind you, as Sluffy points out, it was 36 years ago.........bloody hell!

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

1980 vs Everton, new years day I think got called off at half time, we were playing in a fucking blizzard, Frank Worthinton put us in front, before fat Bob Latchford scored, it all happened in that first half, throwing snowballs at george wood, the black labrador that wanted to play before worthington led it off with a lead, and george wood breaking Peter Reids leg, great memories!!!!!

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The semi final v Swindon Town in 1995.
The 2 nd leg at Burnden Park,we were 2-1 from the first leg and at half time it was 0-0.
I was in the packed Burnden Paddock,not long after the 2nd half had started jan age fjortoeff ( spelling may be wrong) headed Swindon Town in to  1-0 lead on the night from a corner,making it 3-1 on aggregate.But we went forward with passion and pride I think our equaliser hit the post first and Mcateer followed it in 1-1 then McGinley and Patalainen got the other goals the first proper Wembley visit for a proper final for 37 years.The roads were packed with Wanderers fans singing and dancing I walked to Farnworth cos all the bus were full and the roads seemed to have thousands of people I remember buying a bottle of Brandy and drinking it and waking up on a bus stop bench about 4 hours later and was still pissed and happy Wembley here we were coming.

Last edited by White84 on Tue Aug 12 2014, 19:55; edited 1 time in total

White84 wrote:The semi final v Swindon Town in 1995.
The 2 nd leg at Burnden Park,we were 2-1 from the first leg and at half time it was 0-0.
I was in the packed Burnden Paddock,not long after the 2nd half had started jan age fjortoeff ( spelling may be wrong) headed Swindon Town in to  1-0 lead on the night from a corner,making it 3-1 on aggregate.But we went forward with passion and pride I think our equaliser hit the post first and Mcateer followed it in 1-1 then we levelled and Mixu Patalainen headed the 3rd the first proper Wembley visit for a proper final for 37 years.The roads were packed with Wanderers fans singing and dancing I walked to Farnworth cos all the bus were full and the roads seemed to have thousands of people I remember buying a bottle of Brandy and drinking it and waking up on a bus stop bench about 4 hours later and was still pissed and happy Wembley here we were coming.

Mixu didn't score a header he scored a 25 yard screamer (26 minutes into this video), Mcginlay scored the winner (33 minutes).

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yes I just looked it up as I wasn't 100% who got the 3rd goal I remember Mcateer following up the equaliser then Patalainen n McGinley I know it was a tremendous atmosphere.I was crushed at the bottom of the paddock I remember when the 2nd one went in then it was bedlam I was half pissed and then bought a bottle of Brandy and woke up hours later after walking to Farnworth the roads were packed.Great night.
Remember thinking we had blown it when they went 1-0 up.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wow! Better than I remember the pitch was a cow field yet the passion pride never say die.The atmosphere the attempts on goal yes I do remember Mixus shot now.I think I was getting mixed up with the Reading play off but it's almost 20 years ago and I've been hit a lot on the head since.
Was at Watford Saturday if that team had a quarter of the pride them boys gave that night.Just seen Bury are winning 1-0 Freedman is killing this club.
Watching that video was brilliant.Thanks for putting it on mate.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

White84 wrote:... and I've been hit a lot on the head since.

Very Happy 

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

In the Ring ha ha,I do think even sparring with headgaurds n 14 oz gloves I must of been hit well I think I need the calculator.LOL.
Then I got attacked in my home bats and a machete.Lucky to be here.If you have an e mail address for the site I'll send you the pics Sluffy (not nice) all the bangs on my head n training kept me safe from death so the docs said.Absorbing the blows cos I took a few good hits of some good boxers.
I enjoyed that smell of the gym first thing in the morning when you can see your breath in the cold gym.Too old now but certain smells remind you of certain things pipe tobacco reminds me of the Manny road seats as a kid with my dad in the 70's

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Thanks mate but I don't really want to be looking at pictures if you having been attacked - thanks for the offer though.

I'm pleased that you survived it all and came out stronger the other side.

I was probably stood in front of you and your dad many times in the Manny Road terraces all those years back in the 70's. Eveybody seemed to even have their own spot to stand in too!

Small world, eh!

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I remember my dad taking me in the seats as a small child.My first game we played Rochdale I'm sure n John Byrom scored a hat trick.I always remember the smell of pipe tobacco.Strange what you remember.
After that we used to go in the Lever end,I remember going to a leauge cup match when Bobby Moore was playing for Fulham,we were losing 2-1 and 90 minutes were well up and the referee played an unusually long amount of time and mike Walsh scored.2-2 Bobby Moore went to remonstrate with the referee and history was made the Ref sent him off.The only time in his career.
I remember Fulhams goalie was called Mellor if my memory serves me right and the Lever end were singing "Mellor is a Wanker" all through extra time.Like I say funny what you remember.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

White84 wrote:I remember my dad taking me in the seats as a small child.My first game we played Rochdale I'm sure n John Byrom scored a hat trick.I always remember the smell of pipe tobacco.Strange what you remember.
After that we used to go in the Lever end,I remember going to a leauge cup match when Bobby Moore was playing for Fulham,we were losing 2-1 and 90 minutes were well up and the referee played an unusually long amount of time and mike Walsh scored.2-2 Bobby Moore went to remonstrate with the referee and history was made the Ref sent him off.The only time in his career.
I remember Fulhams goalie was called Mellor if my memory serves me right and the Lever end were singing "Mellor is a Wanker" all through extra time.Like I say funny what you remember.

Yes I was there when Moore was sent off at Fulham, I remember that happening.

Mellor was also known as Teflon - as the ball never used to stick to him when he went to catch it!  He had a big mop of blond hair.

I remember Byron getting a hat trick in the Sunday FA Cup game against Stoke can't remember the Rochdale one?

I've just looked it up - the first time ever we played Rochdale - League Cup 13th August, 1969, we won 6-3, Terry Wharton and Roy Greaves (two) getting the others.

Excellent memory mate - I can't remember that game at all.

Then again these days I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago!

Happy days.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thanks mate could have been wrong about my 1st game.im sure it ended 3-2 and Byrom scored all 3 but it could have been 2 and it may have been v someone else.It just sticks in my mind??.
I remember playing Villa and the most foul mouthed Villa fan was ranting and swearing and my dad told him to shut it or he'd be spending time in Bolton royal infirmary.He never swore after that and I thought my DAD was dead hard ha ha!.
I remember Mellors blonde hair as well wow funny! Little things my Dad always wanted to get off early if we were losing and that night if I'm correct we had to play another half hour and I'm sure he was pissed off that Mike Walsh had scored.The ref played much too much time n Moore was right.It ended up 2-2 now I'm not sure if that was the year we got to the semis v Everton.1-1 first leg then lost 1-0 at Burnden in front of 50-000 wow what a crowd amazing they all fitted in.

Burnden looked full with 20-000 after they built the bloody Superstore on the side of it.If we thought it was bad now think about back then pre Reebok/Macron.

Things probably aren't as bad as we think.After all ED owns it all and a bloody hotel so that's not a footy debt he's bought a hotel that was on the ground!

Still some happy days at Burnden the rise by Bruce Rioch Amazing brought a few journeymen a few young lads commitment spirit I'm gonna start to Cry ha ha those were happy times.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brilliant night.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum