Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister?

+14
Natasha Whittam
sunlight
rammywhite
wessy
Angry Dad
Cajunboy
karlypants
gloswhite
Norpig
okocha
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
xmiles
Sluffy
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 21]

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't get it?

Too subtle?

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Just seen the figures for food. The tariffs for our food imports from Europe is zero. From the WTO they vary between 20 and 46 percent tariffs.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

sunlight wrote:Just seen the figures for food. The tariffs for our food imports from Europe is zero. From the WTO they vary between 20 and 46 percent tariffs.
Who knows, maybe the UK will stop wasting money importing food we don't need. Recently I saw small asparagus from Egypt! Do we need such stuff? Going back to seasonally available foods might improve the nations health, as well as improving the home market for our food producers. Also, tariffs are not one way, as far as I am aware. We may all end up a little thinner or healthier, but I don't think we'll perish. Smile

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

Too subtle?

Is their a wider point or just that a neo nazi and his Mrs voted for brexit.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:
sunlight wrote:Just seen the figures for food. The tariffs for our food imports from Europe is zero. From the WTO they vary between 20 and 46 percent tariffs.
Who knows, maybe the UK will stop wasting money importing food we don't need. Recently I saw small asparagus from Egypt! Do we need such stuff? Going back to seasonally available foods might improve the nations health, as well as improving the home market for our food producers. Also, tariffs are not one way, as far as I am aware. We may all end up a little thinner or healthier, but I don't think we'll perish. Smile
I am slim to start with. I only eat healthy food.
Your attempt to make the situation of tarrifs look good is telling people its ok to be in an unnecessarily abject position as the harm that will befall us, especially the poor, wont actually kill us, though it wont be nice.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Too subtle?

Is their a wider point or just that a neo nazi and his Mrs voted for brexit.

The wider point is that if you look at the main advocates of brexit (of which these two creeps are admittedly extreme examples) I find it difficult to understand why so many people believed brexit was going to be good for them. Boris, Trump, Putin & co are not famous for putting the interests of the UK first.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

sunlight wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
I am slim to start with. I only eat healthy food.
Your attempt to make the situation of tarrifs look good is telling people its ok to be in an unnecessarily abject position as the harm that will befall us, especially the poor, wont actually kill us, though it wont be nice.
I think your view is rather OTT for the comment I made, but I suppose that's acceptable considering its the norm to overstate things on here when talking about Brexit. I wasn't trying to make the use of tariffs look good, but was merely pointing out your slightly biased view.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Hipster_Nebula wrote:The mail is edited by a remainer.
...but the people who pay him aren´t. They dictate the agenda.

It’s not biased to point out the tariffs are up to 46% - its a statement of fact Glos.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

gloswhite wrote:
Why would any other Country agree to any Tariffs when they can source their goods from another Country with an agreement ? What exactly has the UK got to trade that can´t be sourced elsewhere ? When I say the UK, I mean england because according to Tories they would rather have Brexit than keep the Union.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y wrote:It’s not biased to point out the tariffs are up to 46% - its a statement of fact Glos.
Agreed TROY, but there's more to it than just to say tariffs are up, down, or whatever. There is usually a reason for raising tariffs, and this is because our product is usually competing with the home product. If that is the case, why not look for new markets, especially when you know your product is successful?  Nothing stands still, especially in business, and we need to be able to adapt to the changes, and until we do, things will get a lot tougher, with the benefits materializing 3,4, or more years down the line.
We survived the financial crisis and came out stronger, why can we not survive the Brexit changes ?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Dunkels King wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
Why would any other Country agree to any Tariffs when they can source their goods from another Country with an agreement ? What exactly has the UK got to trade that can´t be sourced elsewhere ? When I say the UK, I mean england because according to Tories they would rather have Brexit than keep the Union.
But isn't that the point? At this time we are unable to look for other markets and limiting ourselves to a closed shop of trade, where we don't have the call on what happens.
As for Scotland, that's a separate question which only the Scots can decide. Don't forget that when the question of independence first raised its head, the Scottish people had the promise of money from oil. This is nowhere near where it used to be, so it would be interesting to see how their economy would evolve without the financial links they currently enjoy with the UK. Their belief that they will be saved by the EU is a fallacy.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
But isn't that the point? At this time we are unable to look for other markets and limiting ourselves to a closed shop of trade, where we don't have the call on what happens.
As for Scotland, that's a separate question which only the Scots can decide. Don't forget that when the question of independence first raised its head, the Scottish people had the promise of money from oil. This is nowhere near where it used to be, so it would be interesting to see how their economy would evolve without the financial links they currently enjoy with the UK. Their belief that they will be saved by the EU is a fallacy.

So are you prepared to see the breakup of the UK with Scotland leaving as long as you get brexit glos?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:It’s not biased to point out the tariffs are up to 46% - its a statement of fact Glos.
Agreed TROY, but there's more to it than just to say tariffs are up, down, or whatever. There is usually a reason for raising tariffs, and this is because our product is usually competing with the home product. If that is the case, why not look for new markets, especially when you know your product is successful?  Nothing stands still, especially in business, and we need to be able to adapt to the changes, and until we do, things will get a lot tougher, with the benefits materializing 3,4, or more years down the line.
We survived the financial crisis and came out stronger, why can we not survive the Brexit changes ?

The problem is that the benefits you talk about glos are imaginary as opposed to the real benefits we get from being in the EU. Trump and his ambassador have already told us what kind of trade deal we will get from them: we will have to accept their shockingly low food standards (chlorinated chicken, hormone stuffed beef, etc) and open up the NHS to them.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:
gloswhite wrote:

So are you prepared to see the breakup of the UK with Scotland leaving as long as you get brexit glos?
I genuinely don't know, one won't necessarily follow the other. When I go to Scotland the people are fiercely independent and dislike the English and its Parliament intensely. I sometimes think this has been stoked by the SNP, rather than pointing out the realities of the situation, (you're going to say the same for Brexit aren't you?  Smile ) 
I don't want to see them leave, but if that is what they want, let them go.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:

The problem is that the benefits you talk about glos are imaginary as opposed to the real benefits we get from being in the EU. Trump and his ambassador have already told us what kind of trade deal we will get from them: we will have to accept their shockingly low food standards (chlorinated chicken, hormone stuffed beef, etc) and open up the NHS to them.
The benefits we get from the EU are good, but its a two way street, and one in which they benefit far more than we do. When we add to that the lock-in we have to suffer for these presumed benefits, who knows whether the EU is the best long-term option for us? I personally would like to see the UK face its future on its own merits, not those handed down from a trading partner that believes itself to be a government.
As for the food trade, and NHS, at this stage you are doing nothing more than listening, and repeating, unfounded allegations.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:

The benefits we get from the EU are good, but its a two way street, and one in which they benefit far more than we do. When we add to that the lock-in we have to suffer for these presumed benefits, who knows whether the EU is the best long-term option for us? I personally would like to see the UK face its future on its own merits, not those handed down from a trading partner that believes itself to be a government.
As for the food trade, and NHS, at this stage you are doing nothing more than listening, and repeating, unfounded allegations.

Sadly these are not "unfounded allegations". The US ambassador Woody Johnson, who is a close friend of the US president, recently said the NHS "would be on the table" and “there will have to be some deal where you give the British people a choice ...to buy it [chlorinated chicken]”. Nothing imaginary about that.

Full details of what he said here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_5IP0g_3jAhWLUhUIHbAFBSIQFjAIegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2F2019%2Fjun%2F02%2Fus-wants-access-to-nhs-in-post-brexit-deal-ambassador-to-uk-says&usg=AOvVaw1BT56CDj3yV16wqurNnNmY

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boris Johnson to be our next Prime Minister? - Page 15 Bolton-s-disallowed-goal-against-everton-in-1997-988737850

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:

Sadly these are not "unfounded allegations". The US ambassador Woody Johnson, who is a close friend of the US president, recently said the NHS "would be on the table" and “there will have to be some deal where you give the British people a choice ...to buy it [chlorinated chicken]”. Nothing imaginary about that.
XM, I don't know about you, but I see such comments as the opening gambit of what will be hard negotiations. 
As I've said previously, the UK already has very high standards for its food and animal care, and it is on that basis that we manage to export to countries that can easily produce its own meat products, but prefers ours. Were not going to throw it all away, it would be foolish, and costly.
With regards the NHS, as much as we love it, it falls down on many fronts. An injection of cash and improved services wouldn't be a bad thing. Again, we won't be handing it over to the Americans, so lets wait and see what is on offer. You seem to think they will make us do as they bid. I don't know why.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum