Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How is the Tory Government Doing?

+19
Sluffy
Norpig
Cajunboy
gloswhite
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
finlaymcdanger
Soul Kitchen
scottjames30
wessy
Whitesince63
Growler
Feby
wanderlust
okocha
Ten Bobsworth
Bolton Nuts
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 38 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 50]

501How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Tue May 23 2023, 13:50

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Also...

Whitesince63 wrote:Clearly asking the advice of any Civil Servant these days is tantamount to signing your professional death warrant. Sadly these bozo’s in the civil service prove once again that nothing discussed is confidential when it can be whipped up into an issue.

Civil servants are NOT private personal assistance - their job is to advice and enact government policy and NOT to deal with the politicians PRIVATE lives.

Braverman when told it wasn't a Civil Service matter, then told one of her own political advisors to sort it.  They approached the Speed Course provider who turned them down flat.

As the Civil Service took no part in trying to arrange a private Speed Awareness Training Course, the 'leak' could have come from anywhere including her own political advisors or the Speed Course Provider themselves.

The bottom line is she tried to hide the fact she was caught speeding - and 'hiding' stuff (and being caught doing so) is not a good look for honesty and integrity in anyone let alone a high profile government minister.

Particularly when Rishi pledged this on his first speech as Prime Minister...

This government will have integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level.

Trust is earned. And I will earn yours

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/prime-minister-rishi-sunaks-statement-25-october-2022

So far since...
Gavin Williamson

Allegations of bullying and resignation
On 9 November two more sources told The Guardian that, when he was Chief Whip, Williamson was heard joking or boasting about how his tactics affected the mental health of people he worked with. Anne Milton told Channel 4 News that Williamson had used MPs' mental and physical health problems against them, and had collected "salacious gossip" about their "sexual preferences". Milton said that Williamson sent her an email, responding to a female civil servant asking about a minister having to alter travel plans to attend a vote, "Always tell them to fuck off and if they have the bollocks to come and see me. Fuck jumped up civil servants." Milton added "It’s an image he cultivates. I think he feels that he's Francis Urquhart from House of Cards."[90] Milton accused Williamson of creating a culture of fear for Conservative MPs by using gossip over their drinking, sex lives or mental health as "leverage" to keep control. Milton thought Sunak's decision to reappoint Williamson was "probably a bit naïve. I don't know that there are many people that would hang out the bunting to see Gavin Williamson back in government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Williamson

Nadhim Zahawi

Ministerial code breaches and dismissal
Zahawi's tax arrangements attracted further public attention in January 2023.[91] This led to widespread review of statements that he had made and his correspondence with investigating journalists. The Prime Minister asked Laurie Magnus, the Independent Adviser on Ministers' Interests, to investigate Zahawi's personal financial arrangements and declarations. The report identified seven breaches of the Ministerial Code and was published on 29 January 2023.[92] The Prime Minister dismissed Zahawi immediately, following the report from the Independent Adviser.[93][94] Zahawi's reply did not mention the breaches or contain an apology for them.[95]

Zahawi failed to declare the HMRC investigation to his permanent secretary, and failed to disclose it in his ministerial declaration of interests. He also failed to disclose it to Prime Ministers Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak. In July 2022, Zahawi had said publicly "There have been news stories over the last few days which are inaccurate, unfair and are clearly smears." He did not correct this until January 2023. Magnus found this "inconsistent with the requirement for openness" on ministers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadhim_Zahawi

Dominic Rabb

Bullying investigation and resignation
The report found that Raab had been aggressive at a meeting at the Foreign Office and his conduct had involved misuse of power to undermine and humiliate.[98]: 35  No finding on the original Ministry of Justice group complaint was made, as it had been signed by a number of people, not all of whom had had direct contact with Raab.[98]: 39  Regarding the additional Ministry of Justice complaints, the report found that on occasion during meetings with policy officials, Raab's behaviour had been intimidating and insulting.[107][98]: 40  As far as the Brexit Office complaint was concerned, the report found that Raab's behaviour was intimidating but not offensive, malicious or insulting and so did not meet the threshold for bullying.[98]: 34  Tolley found that all complainants acted in good faith and had no ulterior agenda

In his resignation letter Raab was critical of the investigation, saying that the adverse findings were flawed and that the threshold for bullying had been set too low.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Raab

Could well be Braverman to be the next to go due to their behaviour in office...

502How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Tue May 23 2023, 14:39

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Forgetting politics for just one moment 63, are these the sort of people you honestly want to be controlling the country?

I don't and I suggest any other honest and law abiding person wouldn't either.

Something has gone badly wrong when society accepts (or simply does not care) that people who simply are not honest are allowed to become our top politicians and run the country.

503How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Tue May 23 2023, 15:22

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:Forgetting politics for just one moment 63, are these the sort of people you honestly want to be controlling the country?

Something has gone badly wrong when society accepts (or simply does not care) that people who simply are not honest are allowed to become our top politicians and run the country.
Well said, Sluffy.....

504How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Tue May 23 2023, 19:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Appropriately and following on the theme of wanting those elected to be in charge of the country to be (and act) with honesty and integrity, this has just been reported...

Boris Johnson referred to police over potential Covid rule breaches

Boris Johnson has been referred to police by the Cabinet Office over further potential rule breaches during the Covid pandemic.

The department said it made the referral after a review of documents ahead of the Covid public inquiry.

The former prime minister, who was fined last year for breaking Covid rules in 2020, denies any wrongdoing.

The Metropolitan Police said it was assessing information it had received from the Cabinet Office last week.

"It relates to potential breaches of the Health Protection Regulations between June 2020 and May 2021 at Downing Street," the force added.

A spokesman for Mr Johnson said: "Some abbreviated entries in Mr Johnson's official diary were queried by Cabinet Office during preparation for the Covid inquiry.

"Following an examination of the entries, Mr Johnson's lawyers wrote to the Cabinet Office and Privileges Committee explaining that the events were lawful and were not breaches of any Covid regulations."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65690243

How hard is it to simply do the right thing?

They aren't stupid, they KNOW full well when they are breaking the rules and hiding the truth...

505How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Tue May 23 2023, 23:06

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Forgetting politics for just one moment 63, are these the sort of people you honestly want to be controlling the country?

It really is a sad state of affairs. 

I've voted for almost every party you can think of in my life as I'm not particularly glued to an ideology I go with the wind which I admit isn't a strength but I can't muster an ounce of passion for any person or party for the first time in my life at the moment. 

I hate to use a trumpism but we seriously need to drain the swamp in this country. 

That said if you think Westminster is a vacuum of political talent and integrity you should see Holyrood.

506How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Fri Jun 09 2023, 21:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Nadine Dorries quits with immediate effect - how odd?

Good riddance though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65860564

Boris now jumps with immediate effect - good riddance again though!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65863267

Any more of Boris gang going to jump too?

Seems part of the plan is to lose their seats at the by-elections to impact on Rishi's leadership and hopefully topple him before the General Election.

If so, once again it is all about power and control and not about what's best for the country.

Politics is broken in this country.

Labour are just as bad, the third largest party the SNP are going through their own scandals at the moment, the Protestant party won't join with Sinn Fein to stop the political process in Northern Ireland, the leader of the Welsh Plaid Cymru has just quit over allegations that is party is toxic.

It would be quite funny all this, except for the fact are elected to run the country for us - and NOT themselves...

507How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Fri Jun 09 2023, 22:44

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I’ve said the same things numerous times Sluffy, the current crop of MPs in Parliament is the worst I’ve seen in my lifetime. I genuinely don’t think they’ve an ounce of integrity amongst them. As far as Boris is concerned I have absolutely no respect for him after being one of his biggest fans. Before the last election he was the dream candidate for Brexiters but as soon as he got into power with a huge majority he completely changed and reneged on most his commitments before the vote. It wasn’t the Partygate thing that was critical for me, though it did clearly put his honesty massively into question, it was the swift move to woke with net zero, re-wilding, immigration and a complete failure to take on the woke brigade and many other policies that would be expected from a Conservative government. For me personally I don’t want to see Boris back at the top but then I’d be struggling to quote you a current Tory MP that I would.

508How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sat Jun 10 2023, 00:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

As I've said there is no political party that puts the county's needs first and their own lust for power a very long distance behind.

They are all as bad as each other really.

Boris was a 'player' in my opinion, in that he didn't really have any plans or policies, he simply blustered his way through things.

Clearly he had little to no integrity - but to be fair to him his instincts were indeed spot on from time to time, such as his immediate and unfailing support for the Ukraine whilst Europe (Germany and France in particular) and America, lagged behind.

I liked Boris but he clearly was a liar with zero morals and as such had no place to be in Parliament let alone the PM.

Unfortunately crazies such as Truss and Kwarteng hitched their wagon to him and ended being our next PM and damn near ruined the country within 6 weeks with their utterly bonkers economic mantra.

(I did tell you before she beat Rishi that her economic plans were ridiculous but clearly you chose to ignore my warnings and vote her into office - forgive me for saying I told you so - but I did actually tell you so - and was proved absolutely right).

Fwiw I believe Rishi is about the best of the Conservative politicians right now, with Cleverley and Wallace worth a mention.

Braverman has shown herself to be completely untrustworthy and I've not seen anything of worth in Badenoch up to now.

Labour isn't much better, no party is.

We get what we deserve they say - and it seems the saying rings true - with how most people generally behave now - look at how many people behaved during Covid for instance.

It's not just us, look at Trump in America and how the Republican Party behaves - Putin and Xi, the list is endless.

The world is fucked unfortunately.

That's why I can't take anything seriously anymore and laugh at those nutjobs who do.

That's the way it is now and just like Rory, I've come to terms with it.

509How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sat Jun 10 2023, 10:01

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy, I couldn’t agree more on the world being fucked but other than in the likes of China and Russia where the population basically has no real choice, that’s not true in the West. We are to blame, you, me and everyone else who has allowed the degradation of our country, our cultures and history. Some see immigration as a good thing, I personally see too much immigration as a disaster. The complete tolerance of minority groups to decide policies is ridiculous whether it’s trans rights, Just Stop Oil or other groups supported by the wokerati. I don’t leave out organisations or wealthy individuals either who have only their own interests at heart. The lies and deceptions on Covid and net zero where no proof of either has ever been debated publicly yet foisted on us by politicians who haven’t a brain or scrap of integrity between them. Sadly the youth have been brainwashed into believing all this crap so much as I despair for my grandchildren it’s down to them to change it because I’ll be long gone before the worst of it emerges. As for Truss, I still believe in what she tried to do and so do many “experts” now after initially criticising. It was the way and speed she did it that was the problem not the content.

510How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sat Jun 10 2023, 10:57

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It is pointless trying to argue with you but put simply, if you line up all the experts in the world - and say 90% of them say one thing and the other 10% says something else, then whichever side you support, you can always claim that experts agreed with you.

She may even be proved correct in the long-run (she won't) but clearly she couldn't change the way the world's economy works by doing her own thing and expecting things to instantly change for her.

In simple terms she gave away everything in the country's bank account (to her rich friends remember) and hoped they would create new jobs with that money.

The thing was how do you fund the running of the country with a now empty bank account, whilst you have your fingers crossed that the plan will work?

The world simply said I'm not investing in the UK (the government bonds that we sell in order lend money to keep the country going) until I see the plan work.

That caused an immediate crisis - think of it like Wigan's plight is now, namely we no longer had any money in the bank to pay the wages, and we had to faff around getting our own big investors like the pension funds, sell off their current investments in a fire-sale, to have some money to buy our government bonds because the rest of the world simply would not touch them for fear the UK economy would go bust - and it was certainly heading that way.

It was sheer lunacy what she did - it was never going to work because she had not thought how the go from how the world works economically now, to how she wanted the world to work economically in the future.

In short she didn't have a plan to get from A to B - she just simply believed it would happen.
A bit like I believe the next Euro Millions ticket I buy is going to win me the jackpot.

It might, I have one expert who says it will, but my chances aren't that great of it happening are they?

I certainly wouldn't bet my house on it - which is more or less what Truss actually did with the entire UK economy!!!

Just sheer madness of her really!

If I can use the Wigan example again - in simple terms Wigan did very similar in that they took a gamble in spending all their money up front - emptied their bank account - to get promoted but then had no money to pay the wages for the next year and the rest of the world aren't mad enough to help them out now because of the shit hole they are in - no money to pay the wages, in debt to HMRC, players still on stupid money, points penalty inflicted, relegated, almost certainlt to be relegated again and with little to no hope of any genuine person wanting to save the club for itself.

It's fucked - and Truss was a long way down the road of fucking the UK economy - and that's why in just six weeks she threw her best mate under the bus to save herself, had to appoint her biggest critic to scrap all her economic plans and finally quit as PM for being an absolute idiot who believed Tory mantra rather than understand how the world economy actually functions.

Just for fun this is what Evatt said about Wigan at the time...

511How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sat Jun 10 2023, 15:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

As a Consertave, I can sum up in two easy words. shite, and useless.

512How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sat Jun 10 2023, 16:54

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy, I didn’t realise I was trying to argue with you. I have a point of view on Truss and Kwarteng and have expressed it and if you have a different one that’s fine. Clearly your views on them are different to mine but it doesn’t make either of us right or wrong. You seem to think that you’re the only one whose view is the right one. I think you’re talking bollocks but that’s fine you keep having your view and I’ll keep having mine. It’s called democracy. If more people think like you then I’ll accept it whether I believe it’s right or not, that’s how it works. It seems the only thing we do agree on at the moment is that all the parties are as bad as each other so whichever one gets in at the next election will only plunge the country into further turmoil. Since you’ve got all the answers though maybe you should stand? 😉

513How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sat Jun 10 2023, 18:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

514How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 00:39

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:Sluffy, I didn’t realise I was trying to argue with you. I have a point of view on Truss and Kwarteng and have expressed it and if you have a different one that’s fine. Clearly your views on them are different to mine but it doesn’t make either of us right or wrong. You seem to think that you’re the only one whose view is the right one. I think you’re talking bollocks but that’s fine you keep having your view and I’ll keep having mine. It’s called democracy. If more people think like you then I’ll accept it whether I believe it’s right or not, that’s how it works. It seems the only thing we do agree on at the moment is that all the parties are as bad as each other so whichever one gets in at the next election will only plunge the country into further turmoil. Since you’ve got all the answers though maybe you should stand? 😉

Flipping heck, you're very touchy today!

I wasn't arguing with you for a start - I thought I'd made that abundantly clear with my very first sentence...

Sluffy wrote:It is pointless trying to argue with you but put simply, if you line up all the experts in the world - and say 90% of them say one thing and the other 10% says something else, then whichever side you support, you can always claim that experts agreed with you.

It's great that you've got your own view of Truss and Kwarteng and yes my view of them is clearly very different to yours - in fact it was the same as the International Monetary Fund's -

The International Monetary Fund has launched a stinging attack on the UK’s tax-cutting plans and called on Liz Truss’s government to reconsider them to prevent stoking inequality.

In rare public criticism of a leading global economy, the Washington-based fund said Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-budget risked undermining the efforts of the Bank of England to tackle rampant inflation amid the cost of living emergency.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/27/kwasi-kwartengs-tax-cuts-likely-to-increase-inequality-imf-says

Now I don't know about you but I reckon the IMF knows a little bit more than you and I on financial stability - in fact that's one of the very reasons it exists...

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is a major financial agency of the United Nations, and an international financial institution, headquartered in Washington, D.C., consisting of 190 countries. Its stated mission is "working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty around the world."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Monetary_Fund

Ok you don't think they know what they are talking about, so what did one of the most influential adjudicators in global financial markets think about it then?

As one of the most influential adjudicators in global financial markets, which rates the creditworthiness of governments and corporations on behalf of large investors, Moody’s said the UK’s “large unfunded tax cuts are credit negative”.

“A sustained confidence shock arising from market concerns over the credibility of the government’s fiscal strategy that resulted in structurally higher funding costs could more permanently weaken the UK’s debt affordability.”

Alright they aren't consequential enough to make you think that Truss and Kwarteng didn't know what they were doing then how about the whole world - surely they must know a bit more than you and I on these matters...?

For Truss there has been the steepest of political prices to pay for her budget gamble. The market turmoil has proven a powerful narrative for the mass of critics in her party who never wanted her as leader. On contact with free markets, the reputation of her free-market brand of libertarian economics has been trashed.

The truth - whether you want to face it or not - was Truss was driven by IDEOLOGY and not ECONOMICS - and when the ideology was put in to practice and it met the real economic world we actually do live in - it was an unmitigated disaster...

It was all supposed to be so different. Truss had spent the summer promising to cancel the rise in national insurance and corporation tax in the Conservative leadership race. Those pledges, plus her popular energy price freeze, would have been plenty for the new government to announce in the supposedly stripped-back tax and spending event.

Instead, it was a bumper, ideologically driven occasion that left Truss’s defeated political rival, Rishi Sunak, vindicated. As he had warned, there was indeed a run on sterling, gilt market freefall and spooked global investors. Even the International Monetary Fund (IMF) intervened with a stunning public rebuke.

Analysis
The mini-budget that broke Britain – and Liz Truss

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/20/the-mini-budget-that-broke-britain-and-liz-truss

So what was it you were saying about 'if more people think like me, then you will accept it'?

Well the whole world did - she put it into practice and it was the biggest disaster for the UK since Suez!!!

After decades with a reputation for sound economic management – though severely tested by Brexit – former close allies compared Britain to an “emerging market turning itself into a submerging market” amid the financial market implosion. Some have likened the meltdown to the Suez Crisis of 1956, after which Britain’s power on the world stage was permanently diminished.

The money boys in London even coined a phrase for it - the MORON PREMIUM!!!

Not a whole lot of value has emerged from the past month’s omnishambles, but one valuable development is the coining of “moron risk premium” — in short, the extra money the UK is paying to borrow because its leaders are a few sandwiches short of a tea party.

TS Lombard’s inimitable Dario Perkins appears to have coined the term …

https://www.ft.com/content/08908266-cc47-4cda-b8d4-97a8ac433a6d

As for me having all the answers, well maybe that is because I don't listen to political ideology and I try to research in depth the things I like to talk about.

Unfortunately for me, that if I did want to stand for election (I don't) being honest (Johnson) understanding the basics of how the financial markets work (Truss) and doing the right thing for my country rather than play internal party politics to solve an annoying problem (Cameron - Brexit referendum) are skills that don't seem to be required to make it to becoming the PM - in fact it is the very opposite that seemed to lead to their success and achievements of at least three of our last five Prime Ministers...

Have you ever seen the film La La Land?

I've not myself but I imagine it was where Truss and Kwarteng were when they formulated their mini budget and where you must still reside if you honestly can't see what was wrong with it - yet the rest of the world could.

I'm not here to change anyone's views but I do think it is fair game to laugh at the most bonkers of those that people believe in particularly when it is all just political ideology and nothing at all to do with real world reality.

Note well that I told you significantly in advance of Truss being elected that she clearly had no idea what she was on about with her electoral financial pledges - so I'm not being wise after the event.

If an idiot like me could see it, is it any wonder that the rest of the world's financial markets tore it to shreds immediately Kwarteng finished giving his mini-budget?

And you still think it was ok, but just needed to be introduced a little slower?

You've even fallen for the attempted face saving spin that was trotted out to try and save Truss from the sack.

That didn't work either.

Anyway believe what you want, we are after all only a little footy forum, not like either one of us will change the world, will we, no matter what we say and think.

Have a nice day.

515How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 14:08

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy, apologies but I stopped reading that after your first paragraph, life’s just too short. You keep quoting the likes of the Granuad , the IMF and organisations like Moodys as if you think they’re the bastions of all knowledge. None of them have political or other motivations I’m sure and can you tell me when they actually ever get any of their forecasts right and you can throw in forecasts on Covid and net zero whilst you’re at it? I fully accept the Tory’s (if you can call them that) are shit and yes Truss and Kwarteng car crashed their budget but what they were trying to do I still very much support. I don’t think we’re likely to agree on much of any of this other than perhaps that the whole world is suffering a dearth of political ability at the moment and it doesn’t look like changing any time soon.

516How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 15:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Accept it or not - you clearly don't - but institutions such the IMF and Moody's are authoritative bodies recognised globally that regulate and rule on nations financial management.

Have a pop at the Guardian if you like but don't make the mistake (which you seem to be doing) in automatically disregarding anything in it because of your clear political bias.

The Guardian was simply the first newspaper I found that reported on the IMF's highly critical (for them) comments on on Truss's budget and also which as well included Moody's negative report of it.  I'm sure you can find similar factual reports in the Telegraph or Times if those papers are more to your political liking.

If you believe the likes of the IMF and Moody's get nothing right - and you clearly do - then I again state that there is absolutely no point in arguing with you as you have a completely closed mind to everything that doesn't fit in with your rock solid belief in right-wing Libertarianism (the stuff that Truss, Kwarteng. Priti Patel, Dominic Raab and the likes of Donald Trump champion).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-libertarianism

Interesting to note that Truss was sacked as PM, Kwarteng was sacked as Chancellor, Patel is a bully, Raab resigned as a report found him to be a bully and Trump - well Trump is Trump!

Do you really want to be a follower of these types of people, I guess you do.

You really seem to be in total denial with everything that doesn't fit in with your fixed and blinkered beliefs as you have previously demonstrated on here.

It is a free world and all that and I have no problem you posting whatever you want to believe in so I don't see any reason for you to go all hissy when I give proof and sources to institutions and articles that disprove them.

For what it is worth I throw in an article from the New York Times that hopefully you will find enlightening.

I hope so anyway.

They Wanted to Blow Up Britain’s Economy, and Liz Truss Let Them

LONDON — Set in a maze of streets flanking the Palace of Westminster, the red brick townhouses of Tufton Street are anonymous; no corporate logos attempt to catch the curiosity of passers-by. In fact, the street itself is usually deserted. But this sleepy facade conceals a welter of activity. For the past decade or more, Tufton Street has been the primary command center for libertarian lobbying groups, a free-market ideological workshop cloistered quietly in the heart of power.

In September, it stepped out of the shadows. The “mini-budget” presented on Sept. 23 by Kwasi Kwarteng, Britain’s finance minister and key ally of Prime Minister Liz Truss, clearly owed a debt to Tufton Street. Claiming that “higher taxes on capital and labor have lowered returns on investment and work, reducing economic incentives and hampering growth,” Mr. Kwarteng took a sledgehammer to Britain’s economic consensus, announcing billions in tax cuts, particularly concentrated among the richest.

The plan spooked the financial markets, sent the pound crashing and forced the Bank of England to intervene to halt a run on Britain’s pension funds. It was, in economic and political terms, a disaster — something made plain on Monday when the government, in an attempt to mitigate the damage, scrapped a planned tax cut for high earners. But the package was more than folly. It was the consummation of plans designed on Tufton Street, and of an alliance with Ms. Truss stretching back years. Under her watch, Britain has become a libertarian laboratory.

Those plans are, in outline, very simple. The libertarian groups based on the street — by the latest count, there were six of them (with two more close by) — operate as a coordinated nexus of policy wonks and media whisperers. In the words of Shahmir Sanni, who worked for the Vote Leave pro-Brexit referendum campaign originally based at 55 Tufton Street, they have one basic instinct: “that anything funded by the state is wrong.” Shrinking the state, cutting taxes and ushering private companies into the public realm are their guiding principles.

In Ms. Truss, they found a friend. After a youthful dalliance with the Liberal Democrats, the new prime minister’s belief in small-state libertarian politics has been a mainstay of her political career. In 2011, just a year after entering Parliament, she created the “Free Enterprise Group” of backbench Conservative lawmakers “to renew the case for genuine free markets and free enterprise.” As environment secretary, she embraced austerity, insisting that funding cuts for her department were “a big opportunity.”

Appointed head of international trade, Ms. Truss seized the chance to staff her operation with libertarians. In October 2020, just a couple of months before the start of Britain’s new life outside the European Union, Ms. Truss appointed several pro-Brexit, free-market figures to advisory bodies in her department. Among them were Mark Littlewood, the head of the Institute for Economic Affairs; Matt Kilcoyne, at that time the deputy director of the Adam Smith Institute; and Robert Colville, who runs the Center for Policy Studies. Daniel Hannan, a key architect of Brexit, had been appointed as a trade adviser a month earlier. His think tank, the Initiative for Free Trade, was formerly based at 57 Tufton Street.

This battalion of free-market thinkers has now been welcomed into 10 Downing Street. Five of the new prime minister’s closest advisers are Tufton Street alumni, including Ms. Truss’s chief economic adviser and her political secretary, and at least nine Tufton Street alumni are scattered across other major government departments. Tellingly, Mr. Littlewood says that Ms. Truss has spoken at his think tank’s events more than “any other politician over the past 12 years.”

The political imprint made by these groups, whose stalls have proudly lined the Conservative Party’s annual conference this week, may be relatively easy to track. But the way in which they operate is not so clear. Notoriously opaque about their sources of funding, something they defend as a right to privacy for donors, they have been found by investigative reporters to have financial links to the oil giants BP and Exxon Mobil, big tobacco companies and American libertarian groups. But the picture depicted is only partial. We simply do not know who is bankrolling the groups now at the heart of the British government.

That’s a problem, for the power they exert on British democracy — arguably now at its zenith under Ms. Truss — is considerable. First and foremost, they are significant operatives in Conservative circles: The Center for Policy Studies, for example, claims that it was “responsible for developing the bulk of the policy agenda that became known as Thatcherism.” Given that Margaret Thatcher herself co-founded the think tank, it’s not an idle boast. In the decades since, groups like it have multiplied as the Tufton Street network evolved from a pseudo-academic forum to an orchestrated lobbying outfit whose influence stretches well beyond the Conservative Party.

Spokespeople for these organizations are familiar to even casual consumers of British politics, such has been their ubiquity on television in recent years. It’s common for a representative from these groups to appear on flagship current affairs programs, blandly presented as an impartial expert. There are striking parallels with America, where — as described by Jane Mayer in “Dark Money” — libertarian billionaires fund an assembly line of anti-tax, anti-regulation politics, gamely diffused through the media. In setting the terms of political debate, skewing perceptions of the state and the economy to the right, it has been a remarkably successful strategy.

For Britons, their bills high, real wages falling and welfare state likely soon to be cut, U.S. parallels will be of little consolation. Under Ms. Truss, once nicknamed the “human hand grenade” for her ideological obduracy, the libertarian right has detonated the British economy. The cost, for all but the richest, could be incalculable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/06/opinion/truss-kwarteng-uk.html

Basically what the article is saying is that this deliberate subversion of power in order to take control is the root cause as to why everything has gone to shit in politics in both the UK and America.

It's a bit 'deep state' conspiracy kind of stuff actually being carried on live and in action, if you will.

The levers of power if you will have been stealthily taken over.

The Tory Party that you love and believe in, is NOT the one we've had under Boris and Truss.

You've been hijacked without even realising it - and that's why you CAN see that the Tory Part as you know it has been shit recently but have not understood the underlying reason for why it was?

Maybe, just maybe, with Boris jumping and the likes of Raab, Truss, and Patel all now out of high office, things will hopefully get back to what we knew as normality.

Braverman needs to go as well, maybe Rishi now has the political power after Boris exit, to reshuffle her out sooner rather than later?

517How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 19:39

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Unfortunate that you tried to shoehorn La La Land into your argument, Sluffy (without, apparently, ever having seen it!)

Unlike recent Tory administrations, the film makes the spirits soar. It was no surprise that it won so many awards. Gloriously uplifting.

518How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 20:59

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Unfortunate that you tried to shoehorn La La Land into your argument, Sluffy (without, apparently, ever having seen it!)

Unlike recent Tory administrations, the film makes the spirits soar. It was no surprise that it won so many awards. Gloriously uplifting.

Are you for real???

I 'shoehorned' it in to strongly suggest that Truss, Kwarteng and W63 must be living in La La land if they truly believes in Truss's political economic ideology.

la-la land

A euphoric, dreamlike mental state detached from the harsher realities of life.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/la-la%20land

la–la land

The mental state of someone who is not aware of what is really happening — usually used in the phrase in la-la land

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/la%E2%80%93la-land

La La Land [lah lah land]

Lalaland is a colloquial term for “being out of touch with reality,” usually due to bliss or ignorance.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/lalaland/

...and my favourite of the definitions

la-la land

to think that things that are completely impossible might happen, rather than understanding how things really are

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/la-la-land

519How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 21:35

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yes, but the film that you reference is a wonderful, sensitive homage by director Damien Chazelle to Los Angeles and all the great films that have been produced there, especially romantic musicals. It is a nostalgic evocation of a much-loved cinematic era.

If you'd watched it, you would have understood that, I've little doubt, but it bears no relation to Truss/Kwarteng economics, so felt out-of-place in the context of your post.

520How is the Tory Government Doing? - Page 26 Empty Re: How is the Tory Government Doing? Sun Jun 11 2023, 21:48

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Yes, but the film that you reference is a wonderful, sensitive homage by director Damien Chazelle to Los Angeles and all the great films that have been produced there, especially romantic musicals. It is a nostalgic evocation of a much-loved cinematic era.

If you'd watched it, you would have understood that, I've little doubt, but it bears no relation to Truss/Kwarteng economics, so felt out-of-place in the context of your post.

Who even cares?

It's a film - make believe - just like Truss's budget.

Pure fantasy.

Try living in the real word instead of a fake one.

The phrase La La Land perfectly summed this up on so many levels.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 38 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum