Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far?

+12
Banks of the Croal
Keegan
Numpty 28723
bwfc71
Angry Dad
Sluffy
aaron_bwfc
Lofty_Love
Bernard Dennis Park
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

21Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Shooting is a sport of skill and precision and CONSISTENCY.

I agree. Still bloody boring though which I'll think you'll find was my original point.

22Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 pm

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I agree. Still bloody boring though which I'll think you'll find was my original point.

No, your original point was to try to goad people into posting because you have nothing better to do than troll people. You're loving the Olympics, that's why you keep creating articles about it and owning up to watching the games.

23Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

No, your original point was to try to goad people into posting because you have nothing better to do than troll people. You're loving the Olympics, that's why you keep creating articles about it and owning up to watching the games.

If you call me a troll again I swear I'm going to hunt you down and gut you like a beaver.

I am already on record as saying I have watched far more of the Olympics than I ever thought I would, I have actually enjoyed some of it. But some sports are simply not worthy of being on TV. Sailing is another. Great pastime for the people in the boat, but I can see plenty of boats out of my window right now and they're still bloody boring - Olympics or not.

24Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't see why it's a problem? I don't enjoy the fencing, sailing or rowing and my solution to that is not to watch them.

25Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:15 pm

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:some sports are simply not worthy of being on TV.

Don't watch them then.

26Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

But some sports are simply not worthy of being on TV. Sailing is another. Great pastime for the people in the boat, but I can see plenty of boats out of my window right now and they're still bloody boring - Olympics or not.

This is usually the view of ignorant people on sports they know nothing about and thus dismiss them as boring, its the same with: Snooker, Tennis, F1 and Golf all year round.

People who have no idea about the sport, how it works, its rules and its history blindly just call it boring.

Im not claiming to know much about sailing, but there is obviously a hell of a lot of detail involved and the races can be very fast paced and exciting with places being decided by seconds, how can that be one of the most boring sports?

27Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:

This is usually the view of ignorant people on sports they know nothing about and thus dismiss them as boring, its the same with: Snooker, Tennis, F1 and Golf all year round.

People who have no idea about the sport, how it works, its rules and its history blindly just call it boring.

Im not claiming to know much about sailing, but there is obviously a hell of a lot of detail involved and the races can be very fast paced and exciting, how can that be one of the most boring sports?

Because it is. If it was of interest to anyone there would be a Sky Sports Sailing channel.

This morning (it may have been a recording) some female BBC reporter was sailing in a boat next to a boat competing in the race. The nearest competing boat couldn't even be seen with the human eye so the camera just stayed on this one boat for about 10 minutes. I'm sorry, but unless you're Captain Birdseye that is bloody boring.

28Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sailing is shown on TV.. Sometimes on the BBC.

Out of the Olympic sports it is no where near the least popular

Good to see you've judged an entire sport on a 10 min viewing.

29Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I would have thought watching those badminton ladies doubles matches where both teams were trying to lose most have been pretty grim to watch (particularly if you spent a couple a hundred and fifty or so for the pleasure to watch them!

I was lucky enough to have been with my daughter today at the badminton to watch the mixed doubles semi and the ladies singles last eight (China dominated both competitions).

I don't know what I've been playing over the years but they made the game look so easy and graceful. Apparently men can smash the shuttle at speeds of 200mph!

And to go completely off thread, if you ever get the chance to see Handball then take it, it’s immense to watch! I don't know how it comes across on the telly but seeing it live was brilliant.

If I were twenty years younger I would love to have a go at playing it.

30Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 pm

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I find the judo quite uninteresting, so I watch something else. I don't slag it off on the internet and question its right to be broadcast or competed or patronise people who participate or enjoy it. There's obviously an awful lot of subtlety to it that I don't appreciate, and that's fine, you can't know everything about every sport.

31Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:Apparently men can smash the shuttle at speeds of 200mph!

Wow

Sluffy wrote:And to go completely off thread, if you ever get the chance to see Handball then take it, it’s immense to watch! I don't know how it comes across on the telly but seeing it live was brilliant.

Love watching Handball, it is good on the TV, must be great live, im very envious of you

32Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

If I were twenty years younger I would love to have a go at playing it.

A 50 year old playing handball? I don't think so.

33Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I find the judo quite uninteresting, so I watch something else. I don't slag it off on the internet and question its right to be broadcast or competed or patronise people who participate or enjoy it. There's obviously an awful lot of subtlety to it that I don't appreciate, and that's fine, you can't know everything about every sport.

It's a forum, I'm giving my opinion.

34Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:
Good to see you've judged an entire sport on a 10 min viewing.

I know, I deserve a medal for giving it 10 minutes. In truth I'd left the remote in the kitchen and couldn't be bothered fetching it.

Some sports are ace to take part in but don't work on telly. It's hardly a controversial opinion.

35Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 pm

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
It's a forum, I'm giving my opinion.

The boy who cried 'wolf'.

36Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:07 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'd settle for only being fifty these days!

My daughter wanted to see the Badminton if we could, as she got very into it two Olympics back when the GB pair won the silver medal, so we were particularly pleased when we managed to get a pair of tickets.

To be honest after new seeing it, if I had the chance to go again I would like to see a men's match because of the power and speed they generate, rather than the grace and guile of the women.

Before the match starts - they went on two at a time, I had thought with it being semi finals that they would be played separate to each other - there is sort of a crowd warm up, telling them the basics of the game and something about the players - that's when they mentioned about 200mph smashes - I thought I might have missed heard but my daughter confirmed he had said 200mph.

There were also loads of empty seats too - although to the public like me the session was listed as being sold out. Shame really when there must have been plenty people who would have liked to have gone.

After seeing the men play in the mixed, I thought the ladies singles lacked the power and range the men had - and it didn't help much that I didn't really have anyone I would liked to have supported - they were nearly all Chinese, or China - Honk Kong (I didn’t even know that was a separate country?) or China - Tiapai.

Put you money on a China girl to win - you won't be disappointed, there’s hardly any other country left in it.

I must put in a good word for the general organisation throughout - ok the tickets were / are still a bit of a mess but everything else from getting to your local station to getting to your event as been organised wonderfully well - a big well done and thank you to everyone involved.

37Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Some sports are ace to take part in but don't work on telly. It's hardly a controversial opinion.

I understand why you personally might not find a sport interesting, and thats fair enough (Im actually not massively interested in the swimming even though its one of the most popular) but your saying that they arn't worthy of TV based upon you not liking them, whether they are entertaining to watch is entirely subjective to the person, there are no set rules of what sports are good to watch.

Id rather watch a snooker game instead of swimming for example, even though most people would probably say swimming is far more entertaining.

Also our perception of what is a good sport is mostly created by our surroundings, generally the sports you grow up with are your favourite, hence the reason we have hardly any Handball coverage even though its a good sport and is popular elsewhere its just, for whatever reason, not in the English sports culture.

38Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:Natasha, answer my question about the flotilla in a convincing way and I'll consider taking your opinion seriously.

I'm not taking anything seriously until you remove that avatar of Coyle doing a trump.
lol!

39Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 am

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

aaron_bwfc wrote:Basketball, I have tried watch it and get into but I can't stand the sport to be honest, sorry to any basketball fans on here but I just find it very dull.

Agreed!

But my biggest bug-bear is that we pamper to US sports - just so the US can be the kings of them (well thats what they think - especially after last night when there was a group of yanks in the bar boasting how many medals they are going to win and that they have highly influenced IOC with regards to US sports being part of the Olympics) but apart from Football there is really no other major European sport even (yeah ok Handball) but the Rugby 7's would be a great sport in the Olympics and even T20 cricket!

40Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Because it is. If it was of interest to anyone there would be a Sky Sports Sailing channel.

So you have never seen The America's Cup televised, or any of the other sailing championships?

Fantastic to watch - Yep I am a real big sailing fanatic.

Useless fact.... America's Cup is actually British but became known as America's cup as they kept winning it when it was first established.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum