Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far?

+12
Banks of the Croal
Keegan
Numpty 28723
bwfc71
Angry Dad
Sluffy
aaron_bwfc
Lofty_Love
Bernard Dennis Park
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

81Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:22

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Michael Bolton wrote:
But the sailing, there were huge crowds in Weymouth watching with their binoculars, I bet none of them really knew what was happening and who was winning.

There will have been a mix of sailing buffs and the curious general public I think. If I lived in Weymouth, I'd have been down there with a case of lager, cheering him on, oblivious to the performance and just enjoying the sense of occasion. I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I accept your point.

Michael Bolton wrote:
Ben Ainslie is only winning these things because about 1 in 5000 people do sailing. If everyone did sailing I bet he would be nothing special. Its like formula 1 - about 1 in 20000 people get a chance to motor race. I bet if everyone did there would be a lot of people better than them.

I agree, this is exactly why I describe sailing as an elitist sport.

I am an Olympics whore. I am the target audience of all the Olympics coverage. My dream is to touch an Olympic gold medal. I love everything about the Olympics. If they did an Olympic egg and spoon race, I'd be in favour of it and defend it.

82Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

OK, I walked into that. But Natasha was bored of the Olympics before they had begun, so she clearly doesn't like sport anyway.

I love sport, but can't stand the way people have jumped on the back of these minority sports as though they're the best thing since sliced bread. They are minority sports because 47 months out of 48 no one gives a shite about them.

I'll bet no one starts a Fencing/Rowing/Judo/Sailing thread after August.

83Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:26

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm enjoying Murray thrashing Federer. Still think he'll bottle it though.

I remember when Murray came on to the scene you said it was a load of hype about nothing and he was going to be like the next Jeremy Bates.

Yes Murray is tearing Fed a new arsehole here.

Do you reckon he is having an affair with Laura Robson? They seem pretty close.

84Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:26

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I love sport, but can't stand the way people have jumped on the back of these minority sports as though they're the best thing since sliced bread. They are minority sports because 47 months out of 48 no one gives a shite about them.

I'll bet no one starts a Fencing/Rowing/Judo/Sailing thread after August.

You haven't really explained why all this is a bad thing. Who cares if people jump on the bandwagon? It's a fun bandwagon.

It's like Wimbledon, people normally only pay attention to tennis when Wimbledon is on. But what's the problem exactly? So what?

85Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:28

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Michael Bolton wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm enjoying Murray thrashing Federer. Still think he'll bottle it though.

I remember when Murray came on to the scene you said it was a load of hype about nothing and he was going to be like the next Jeremy Bates.

lol! lol! lol!

I love you Michael. Please stay.

86Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:

Yes Murray is tearing Fed a new arsehole here.

Do you reckon he is having an affair with Laura Robson? They seem pretty close.

Actually Michael I stated that Murray would never win a Grand Slam tournement. So far I have been right.

87Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:30

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

largehat wrote:
Michael Bolton wrote:
But the sailing, there were huge crowds in Weymouth watching with their binoculars, I bet none of them really knew what was happening and who was winning.

There will have been a mix of sailing buffs and the curious general public I think. If I lived in Weymouth, I'd have been down there with a case of lager, cheering him on, oblivious to the performance and just enjoying the sense of occasion. I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I accept your point.

Michael Bolton wrote:
Ben Ainslie is only winning these things because about 1 in 5000 people do sailing. If everyone did sailing I bet he would be nothing special. Its like formula 1 - about 1 in 20000 people get a chance to motor race. I bet if everyone did there would be a lot of people better than them.

I agree, this is exactly why I describe sailing as an elitist sport.

I am an Olympics whore. I am the target audience of all the Olympics coverage. My dream is to touch an Olympic gold medal. I love everything about the Olympics. If they did an Olympic egg and spoon race, I'd be in favour of it and defend it.

I usually am not that massive a fan of the olympics - other than loving the athletics. But I have to say this olympics has been superb. I just hope the rest of the world has enjoyed it as much as us British have. I hope FIFA take note for the future. They award their world cups to weird countries like South Africa (no atmosphere, very few fans went), Russia, Qatar, etc. These major sporting events should go to countries where people want to go to and be a part of. It was a joke we only got one vote for the world cup. We would put on a superb tournament.

88Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:31

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Murray 6-2, 5-0 against Federer. I can't believe it. The British athletes are unstoppable. I think I may have a bet on Dwain Chambers to win the 100m tonight.

89Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:34

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's got it in the bag, 2 sets up very shortly!

90Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:35

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't Chambers run quicker than Bolt yesterday?

91Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:
He's got it in the bag, 2 sets up very shortly!

He'll still lose.

92Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Didn't Chambers run quicker than Bolt yesterday?

To be fair Bolt jogged the last 40 metres.

93Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:36

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He actually had to give it some because he slipped at the start.

94Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am very much looking forward to the mens 100m final. They say the temperature will stop a world record, but I fancy it to be broken.

95Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:39

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gatlin looked handy yesterday.

96Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:39

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:I am very much looking forward to the mens 100m final. They say the temperature will stop a world record, but I fancy it to be broken.

Do you think the WR will be broken? It does seem like a super fast track.

97Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:40

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't think the world record will go, but we might see the 100m race with the most men under 10 seconds in history.

98Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:

Do you think the WR will be broken? It does seem like a super fast track.

I think so, but the time doesn't help - almost 10pm it starts. I read somewhere that 95% of 100m world records have come when the temp has been 25degress+.

99Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:42

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

largehat wrote:I don't think the world record will go, but we might see the 100m race with the most men under 10 seconds in history.

Yes I would agree with that. Blake, Bolt, Gaye, Bailey, Gatlin are all superb. Linford Christie was so lucky to have been about in the late 80s and early 90s when most 100m sprinters were shit. He wouldn't even make the final nowadays.

100Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? - Page 5 Empty Re: Most Boring Olympic Sport So Far? Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:Linford Christie was so lucky to have been about in the late 80s and early 90s when most 100m sprinters were shit. He wouldn't even make the final nowadays.

He would. He ran 9.87 at his peak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum